Thursday, November 20, 2008

I Blinked

I remember being a newlywed, working at one job, exercising six days a week, renting movies on weeknights, playing table games until the wee house of the morning and wanting to have a family. The other day I looked around and had three, count them, three little girls running around calling me "mommy!" When did that happen? Now my occupation is wearing many different hats. I get to exercise maybe six minutes a day; I enjoy Disney movies only because I know I will get to sit for an hour, and table games contain pictures instead of words. I have the family I always wanted, but I still don't know when it happened. Someone asked how long I had been married and I answered, "Twelve years." Wooo! Did I just say twelve years? When Josh answers that question he'll say "Doesn't seem like twelve years, but sometimes it feels like twelve years." Although laden with sarcasm it is somewhat incomprehensible. I have a hard time grasping what has happened and how much has changed for the better, and I am so thankful.

I used to do laundry in one day. I mean wash, dry, fold, iron, hang, put away, everything! Now, I do a load of laundry every day just to make sure there are enough pairs of clean socks and underwear, but rarely does it all make it to the closet or dresser drawers, let alone to the iron.

I used to strive to climb the corporate ladder. Now, I hope to be the best volunteer in my daughter's Kindergarten class.

I used to envy another woman thinking, "Man she has it all…a great husband, two wonderful daughters, and she's able to make it look so easy!" Now, I have kids saying they want to be just like me when they have families…

I love what I do and I am embracing this chapter of my life, I just don't remember turning the page. It is just me?

2 comments:

Annette said...

Nope not just you at all! I often am amazed that I have three daughters as well! I'm the mom? It is so cool how our goals and aspirations change isn't it? I too am so happy at where I am, but so amazed at how quickly it has gone! Awesome post!

the girl with the racing mind... said...

I loved this post, Billie, and I so agree. Since marriage and motherhood happened to me all within the same year (that's what happens when you have a honeymoon baby...), my married life has been one blur of family. I didn't have a hard time being a wife and mother and then the mother of two (just 13 months after the 1st - yes, we figured out what caused that and put a stop to it!!!) because it happened so fast all at the same time. What has been hard is this chapter that I'm in right now - the mother to a teenage daughter and a nearly teenage son. I still remember BEING a teenager - how am I supposed to raise them???? What happened to the little girl and boy who went off to kindergarten? Sweet faces, sweet temper tantrums? But they still hugged me goodnight with smiles on their faces. Now - I don't know what I'm in for...every day is a new day, and I think prayer is the only key to this roller coaster ride.