Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Adorable & Mine (part2)

OK. Now for what was really happening:

Yes, this is a 'Mock Studio' set up in any location where the sun is shining into my house, but not directly on my subjects. This particular day was in my dining room with the sun entering through the deck doors. I typically use dark fabrics right off the bolts, with maybe a stitch or two, but this backdrop happens to be a set of sheets and was a clearance buy (to use for this photo shoot). I clip the backdrop with the oversized office paper clips to (Shhh...don't tell Josh!) the oversized screens that I take out of the front room windows. I use the sunlight, because the girls and I have such intense red eye that I avoid using the flash. OK, now the fun begins. The girls know what I want, will they cooperate? And who to 'torture' first? Jordan and Andi caught me before I had the chance to put their clothes on, so they willingly posed for these….

Commence wardrobe change, followed by a gentle hair pulling, tying, and face washing rite-of-passage, all of which are presumed forms of torture in our house, at least by the amount and volume screaming and wailing. Why is it that I picture Wesley trapped in the Pit of Despair with an albino rat-man that clears his throat while saying, "Don't even think about escaping."? Strange correlation I know, but sometimes I feel like they know it will end and if they would just sit still, there would be less "torture."

Dillon First

Who is completely oblivious to the camera and more intrigued by the chair. So I introduce bubbles and now I can't hold the camera still enough to focus. UGGGHH! To any gift givers listening, Mama needs a 6' tripod.


Then Andi Who is more interested in popping the bubbles than just watching them.


Then Jordan

Who wants nothing more than to please me and is so ridged that I am convinced her muscles will be sore for next three days.


Then all Three
This is when I begin asking myself if I am of sound mind.

Forget it.

We move outside to the deck, 'mock studio' and all. It is an overcast day and almost perfect for picture taking. If only my subjects were willing.

Tears.

Bribery.

Silliness.

All while, I am holding the camera and blowing bubbles, or making wired noises to attract the baby's attention. It sounds something like this: "Jordan sit still. Andi please stop reaching for the bubbles. Dillon pllllleeeeassse look at mommy. Don't smile, do smile. Don't look at me, okay now look at me. Laugh. No don't laugh. Look this way, now look that way. Jordan please just sit still. Andi I don't want your hand in front of Dillon. Or Jordan. Dillon, look this way. AAACCHHHOO. AAABUGGGGAAABUGGGAAABUGGGA. Jordan SIT STILL. Andi PUT your hands DOWN. Dillon. DILLON. DILLON."

I do use the rapid shutter feature on my camera so I can take a multitude of sequential pictures and then pick the best.

I am typically pleased with the pictures when I look at the end result, but why do I torture myself? To save a buck. I find it truly difficult to pay someone to get almost the same results. I study magazine pictures and look at photography books in the library to get new ideas on how to pose the girls. I also steal idea from the pictures my friends bring home from the studio.





Please join me in praying for peace, understanding, comfort and healing as a dear friend grieves the unthinkable of loses; a baby born into God’s arms. This post is in memory of those who have gone before us, especially those little who we wish wouldn’t have.

1 comment:

Annette said...

OMGosh! I've had that same picture experience here, except I don't have the backdrop and of course different names. It's hilarious how I'm yelling and threatening and then say "Smile!". Thanks for the laugh!

My heart goes out to your friend.