Monday, June 1, 2009

Setbacks Build Confidence

I experienced my first true disappointment in my quest for running the Grandmas Marathon yesterday. It was the day marked on my training calendar for 20 miles, a day I had been preparing for. To make sure there was no way to avoid the full 20 miles, I decided to run home from church; the long way. Mistake number one was leaving at noon, making the shade scarce as the unforgiving sun beat directly down; I began to pray for big fluffy clouds to block the hot yellow beast. Mistake number two was underestimating the slight breeze; the unrelenting gusts of 13mph plus crosswinds threatened to push me out of the shoulder and into on coming traffic. The third mistake was skipping lunch, the hunger pains I experienced were probably moderate at best, but coupled with excessive heat and threatening winds it felt much more extreme. These three things served up a well loaded can of Whip A$$ turning my 20 mile run into a grueling 15 mile survival hike complete with a KFC stop for a glass of ice and my Knight in Shinning Armor coming to my rescue...Although I willingly climbed in the truck, I know I could have walked the remaining 5 miles, but I was already mentally defeated and didn’t need to add ruining my average to the list of setbacks. Josh commented on not working hard enough to be soaked in sweat, but I was eager to explain that the wind licked away any moisture before it could be accumulated. All-in-all I remain confident I can complete the 26.2 miles, and that I can do so in less than 5 hours, so apparently not all was lost.

1 comment:

The Three 22nds said...

sounds miserable. 20 miles? This is why marathons are not in my future.